READY TO REGISTER?
NEWS FLASH! We’ve given our CSA a makeover!
The same farm and product you love with greater flexibility and convenience.
About Our CSA
We are excited to announce that this coming season our CSA will be partnering with HARVIE, an online platform that will allow us to offer a more customized and user friendly CSA experience.
For $30/week, you get a weekly box of 8-10 items based on the preferences you set when you sign up. Each week you will receive an e-mail with a list of what will be in your box and you have 24-48hours to make any swaps or adjustments you want before we pick and deliver it to a site near you. What will be in your box? From dry beans, to baby greens we grow a huge assortment of what can be grown here on the central coast and are known for having the highest quality and tastiest stuff out there. We are proud to grow EVERYTHING in your box. We don’t buy in produce.
Every week too much? Choose pick up every other week. Don’t like what’s in the box? Swap items. Want a bit more cuz family is visiting? Easily add on extras. Don’t ever want to eat beets ever? Set your preferences and when we’ve got beets they’ll go just to the beet lovers. Want the box just like it’s always been? Don’t select preferences and get the CSA box you know and love.
Where can I pick up my weekly box?
Click on a truck icon on the map below for details on a specific site. Click on the full screen icon in the top right to easily get directions to any site. Out of our delivery area? Read below about ordering through Good Eggs!
Thursday: Hillsborough, Half Moon Bay, San Mateo, two sites in Menlo Park, Palo Alto, San Jose, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Davenport, Santa Cruz Westside, and at the farm in Pescadero (on farm pickups automatically receive a $25 discount upon check out). Pick up hours are 3pm – 8pm for most sites.
Saturday: San Mateo Farmers’ Market 9am – 1pm
Sunday: Inner Sunset (SF) Farmers’ Market 9am – 1pm, Campbell Farmers’ Market 9am – 2pm, and Palo Alto Farmers’ Market 9am – 2pm.
If there isn’t a site in your neighborhood, think about hosting. We need a minimum of 8 – 10 people to add your site as a delivery/pick-up location. Site hosts receive $200 off their share. If you can find 25 people or more to pick-up at your site your share is free!
How much does it cost?
$30/week for the 27 weeks from May-Nov. Want more in a given week? You can easily swap items and add on additional items to your box each week based on your needs.
Optional Fifth Crow Farm add-ons:
Pasture Raised Organic Eggs
We only have 50 full 27 week shares which are sold out. Still available are shares that go through August when our production usually drops due to shortened days and annual molting.
Receive $18 worth of flowers each week at the discounted rate of $15.
Our Partner Farms:
*Add-on products from our Partner Farms are not Certified Organic.
We deliver products from the following Partners to your pick up site. You can sign up for these add on shares on our website at the time of registration.
Take a tasting tour of the Bay by trying a different honey each month. City Bees of San Francisco offers one-of-a-kind microclimate honeys from around the Bay (including hives in Fifth Crows’ orchards & cane berry field) where hills, valleys and their proximity to summer fog are as varied as the diversity of plants. This bounty of blossoming nectar sources creates rich and distinctive flavors of honey. City Bees’ hives are cared for using only organic methods to maintain colony health and vigor.
Make a commitment of $300 to be used as credit toward Markegard Family Grass-Fed meat offerings. You can order meat to be delivered with your produce share the first and third Thursday of the month. We know everyone has different favorites when it comes to meat. That is why it is not a set box. You will simply visit markegardfamilyshop.com
at least two days prior to your scheduled Thursday CSA delivery and order the meat of your choice. You will receive a gift card code that you will enter at check out to use your $300. Once that is used up you can continue to pay as you go. Your credit will not go away if you don’t get through it all within our CSA season. You can also use your credit when you visit the Markegard’s at any of their farmers’ markets! You will be able to choose from all of the available cuts of grass-fed lamb, grass-fed beef, pasture raised pork and pasture-raised chicken.
***If you are not currently a member of Markegard Family Grass-Fed CSA you may not be able to order the members only items. You will have the opportunity once you sign up for the meat add-on to join Markegard Family Grass-Fed subscription membership program for an additional fee. ***
Stay balanced and healthier throughout the year, learn about plant medicine, and build a home apothecary! Steadfast Herbs grow and make their own herbal medicines right down the road from Fifth Crow Farm at Root Down Farm to provide preventative and holistic care. Your herbal share will be delivered along with your CSA produce once a month and will include tinctures, teas, salves and more along with information about the medicinal properties and uses of each remedy.
What’s in a CSA box if I don’t set preferences?
Each box includes 8 – 10 items, rotating within the categories below depending on what’s in season:
- Baby head lettuce (varieties vary)
- A root crop (carrots, beets, turnips, radishes)
- A bag of pre-washed baby greens (baby arugula, baby kale, spring salad mix, mesclun salad mix, or spinach)
- A brassica (broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, cabbage)
- An allium (leeks, onions, shallots, spring onions, chives)
- Fruit (strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb, and from July-November apples from our 27-variety heirloom orchard, and pears when possible).
- An herb (dill, cilantro, basil, thyme, oregano, sage, etc.)
- PLUS another 1 – 3 seasonal items: bunching greens, summer squash, winter squash, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, tomatoes, baby artichokes, poblano or sweet peppers, green beans, cucumbers, and more…!
- You will also receive a pound of our heirloom dry beans monthly (which you can swap out of the box if you choose)
What’s a CSA?
CSA stands for “Community Supported Agriculture.” Customers invest in the farm by committing to buy a weekly box of produce for the season early in the year. Our CSA model here at Fifth Crow is that of a single-farm CSA; meaning we grow 100% of the food included in every share. Everything we produce is Certified Organic by CCOF. Our flowers are also Certified Bee Friendly and our poultry production is also Animal Welfare Approved.
By choosing to be a Fifth Crow CSA member, you are making a commitment to help support a small, sustainable, local business that feeds, clothes, and houses 30+ farmers and their families. In addition, the longer term commitment between farmer and customer leads to a more personal relationship and greater community building between producer and eater as well as between CSA members who share an interest in sustainable agriculture and good food. Want to preserve the beauty of San Mateo’s Coastside? You can do it one bite at a time by forging a connection between your family and our sustainable, organic farm.
Perks of being a CSA member!
- Eat healthier with freshly harvested produce delivered close to your home
- Save money (we value CSA produce at a discount from our market prices)
- Get first priority to receiving our eggs and flower bouquets by adding them on to your produce share
- Discount prices for attending special on-farm events including you-pick berries & apple cider pressing
- Exclusive seasonal offers through our CSA webstand & access to our wholesale availability & prices
- Opportunity to try foods beyond what you may be familiar with including specialty produce that may never be available at our farmers’ market stall or seen in grocery stores
- Build real community with your farmer and neighbors
- Enjoy learning about your food and where it’s coming from
- Get fresher and higher quality food than you would at a grocery store!
- Keep your hard earned dollars in your hyper-local community
- Receive a weekly newsletter that includes fun facts about your food, preparation ideas and tips, farm happenings, and shared photos & recipes from fellow CSA members
- Develop a closer connection with where your food is coming from (true trace-ability)
Order our CSA shares through Good Eggs:
We partner with Good Eggs to expand the range of where our CSA shares can be delivered from May-Nov.! Good Eggs is able to serve most homes in the Bay Area and throughout the peninsula. You can confirm whether this includes you by entering your zip code on their website. Good Eggs will delivery your CSA share directly to your home for a $10 delivery fee. However, if you’d like to purchase additional items from Fifth Crow or other great local food producers the fee is waived for any order above $60. Please note that we currently are only able to provide Good Eggs delivery of CSA shares on Thursdays and Good Eggs must receive all orders by the previous Monday at midnight. If you’re interested we strongly encourage you to go put in your order now (and consider subscribing!).
Use the link producer.goodeggs.com/fifthcrow to be guided directly to our Good Eggs Fifth Crow Farm page where you will automatically receive a $20 credit towards your first order (not available if you are already a Good Eggs customer). First, you have to select the day you’re shopping for (Thursday delivery) on the top right. Then you can select the CSA share to be placed in your basket and you will also be able to purchase additional Fifth Crow Farm goodies to be delivered along with your CSA. You can place a one-time CSA order, though if you’d like to ensure you get our CSA box every week we strongly encourage you to make it a subscription.
What if I take a vacation?
In order to consistently grow the produce for our customers we have to plan months in advance. For this reason and the complicated logistics, we do not refund boxes if you decide to cancel. However, we offer options:
1. Find a neighbor or friend who will pick up your box in your stead (makes a great bonus for your house-sitter).
2. Give us a full week’s notice and you can cancel a box and schedule an extra box at a later date
3. With a full week’s notice we will donate your box to a local non-profit.
4. If you know your vacation dates at the time of registration, you can give us those and we will prorate your invoice accordingly. We allow up to 8 weeks to be prorated for the May-Nov. season. We must know the dates at the time you register. Fill out the registration and pay the minimum amount, then e-mail us with the dates and we will adjust the remaining balance.
What is the pick-up etiquette?
Each pick-up site has specific hours for pick up. Farmers’ Market pick-ups happen during market hours; private site hours vary depending on the specific host but most pick-up hours are 3pm to 8pm. The site hosts are volunteers and are not paid. Please respect the hosts and only pick up during specified times. They are not required to make special accommodations if you can’t pick up your box or forget. Boxes that are not picked up during pick-up hours will not be available or held for later.
Is this right for me?
A CSA can be a wonderful learning experience but, is it right for you? Before committing you should consider the following: Can I use 8 – 10 vegetable items a week? Can I commit to picking up my weekly share during pick-up hours?
If a CSA share isn’t right for you there are still ways to support a local farm. Come to the farmers’ market! Choose locally produced food over imported items at your grocery store. Support organizations that help out small farms like CAFF, OFRF, and Wild Farm Alliance and teach your kids about where their food comes from!
Can I visit the farm?
We encourage and welcome your visits to the farm. We hold an annual Open House which is a great time to meet us, see the farm and meet fellow CSA members and Fifth Crow eaters. That said you are always welcome to stop by and see where your food is coming from. Bring good shoes and be prepared to walk yourself around- we’re pretty busy so we likely won’t be able to tour, but we want you to know this is your farm too.
Please feel free to email our CSA Coordinator at [email protected] for more information.