4 tbsp of butter
1 fennel bulb, chopped
1 leek or onion chopped
1 bunch of carrots, chopped
1 potatoe chopped
4-5 cups of veggie broth or chicken broth
a bay leaf
dill (if you have some left from last week) or a couple sprigs of thyme
and… depending on your tastes and the sweetness of the carrots & fennel, a little bit of maple syrup
1. melt the butter in a big heavy bottomed pot.
2. add the fennel and start to brown it.. add the carrots and keep sauteeing for a bit
3. add the potato, the bay leaf, & pour in the veggie of chickens stock- I will also use white whine or beer in addition or instead of some of the stock if I don’t have enough
4. simmer till carrots, leeks, etc are super soft.
5. add either some diced fresh or dried thyme or a tablespoon or so of diced fresh dill.
6. puree in a blender and salt and pepper to taste- a little sweet like maple syrup can also help if it seems bland.